I’m not sure how many times I have told you this so far, but I am a busy girl.
I’m have a full-time job (with a 2 hour commute).
I’m a wife.
I’m a mother of 3 kids (my oldest it 3 years old).
I’m a Health Coach.
I’m a blogger.
I’m very active at my church.
(I can go on but I think you get the picture)
The demands of a finding time for myself can be a huge challenge. And this my friend, is a huge sticking point in the world of wellness! There is no way for us to live healthy lives when we are constantly busy and don’t take a few minutes, on a daily basis, to simply relax.
I remember a conversation I had with a friend. He was explaining all of the things he had to do to keep his car running in tip top shape. High octane gas, regular oil changes, tune ups and even a weekly hand car wash. Shortly after, the conversation switched to his health. High blood pressure and poor sleeping habits always seem to be an issue.
“What are you doing about taking better care of yourself?”, I asked.
“I don’t have time to go to the doctor”, his response.
I mean seriously?!? Is your car more important than your wellbeing? Whether you want to admit or not, for most of us, we put everything ahead of ourselves. But, to borrow the line from most airlines,
Please place the oxygen mask on yourself before helping others.
That means, take care of yourself before you take care of anything else. Now, I am not saying hang a permanent Do Not Disturb sign around your neck. Just make sure you take some time to stop and listen to your mind, body and soul. Here are a few tips on how to take 5:
- When you start to feel stressed, worried or overwhelmed- pull away to a quiet place, be still and quiet for 5 minutes. Just chill! Five minutes will feel like a lifetime.
- If something starts to hurt – listen to your body and address the issue. Do you need to call your doctor? Has this issue lasted more than a day? Our bodies will let us know what’s going in various ways but we have to pay attention.
- Because we sit more than we should – Get up and stretch those muscles, roll your shoulders and touch your toes (at least try to). Get the blood flowing.
- Need to make a big decision or feel like you are about to explode – just breathe and wait! This will allow you to have a better response.
- Listen to your favorite song, brainstorm on a goal, call a loved one just to say “hello”, do something to care for yourself.
You matter and you have to take the time to take care of yourself. You are better to everyone else when you are at your best.
What are some ways you relax? Please share with us below!